Fun with Dry-Erase Markers!
by: Diane Flynn Keith
posted: March 26, 2005
If you have some dry-erase markers you can have some fun with your little ones while they develop coordination for handwriting skills.
Did you know that in general, dry-erase markers can be used on glass and mirrors -- and can be easily cleaned off? Well, it's true. Of course, before you get started with these activities, test the surface you will be using.
Just put a dot of color from the dry-erase marker on an inconspicuous edge of the object. Then, take a damp cleaning rag and remove it. If it comes off, it's safe to use that surface to have some coloring fun. Here are some ideas:
- Stand in front of the mirror with your child and draw on your reflection. Give yourself glasses, freckles, a mustache and a hat.
- Try to draw a mustache or beard on each others reflections in the mirror.
- Draw letters, numbers, shapes, and pictures.
- Draw on the glass of framed pictures. Give your relatives funny features like a uni-brow (one long continuous eyebrow), or add some earrings to your uncle, or put a bowtie on a baby.
- Draw on the window and make colorful decorations that reflect the season. Draw snowmen, flowers, sunshine, trees, hearts, and other decorative things.
- You can draw on clear plastic (acetate) with dry-erase markers. Put a plastic cover over a book, or cover the walls in acetate and draw on them. The dry-erase markers wipe right off so you can change the pictures and designs whenver you want.
- Draw on the car windows or cover them in clear plastic acetate and draw on that. You can use the dry-erase markers to play tic-tac-toe or keep a car game score tally on long trips.
Use all of these ideas to have fun learning with your little ones!
Get our popular eBooks designed to instill
a life-long love of learning! They include:
Learning with Little Lulu Lemon — This exciting eBook includes over 25 fun, hands-on activities and recipes themed around the versatile lemon that the whole family will enjoy.
Universal Preschool's Learning Calendar! — Enjoy over 190 fun, historic, and event-themed activities for learning with little ones all year long.
These eBooks will save you time and money and give your children a head start on early learning in a fun, playful, and developmentally appropriate way.